Eä Tolkien Society Monthly Meeting Notes, May 2016
Attended: Hawke, Richard, Brian, Chris and Corey. Deborah and Jeremiah.
- Brian read Notes from April.
- Deborah shared her maps. Unfortunately she was not able to keep her Internet connection.
- Various comments.
- Hawke read excerpt from The Fellowship (Inklings)... Prologue.
- Chris K's review of first 2 chapters. Snapshots of each in context of community.
- What about now? Isn't there a great need for civil collaboration between those of differing opinions? General discussion. Myth is not an easy medium.
- Kuperstein referred to Asimov story,
- Jeremiah's comments about RPG, Tolkien's Legendarium. Carpenter's inklings vs Inklings book. Also civil discourse still alive.
- Authorship is influenced by ones peers to the extent we are sharing and listening.
- Vinyar Tengwar Nov 1988 Table A verbs... Elvish verb tenses. March 1989 Entish verses... 5 we know of: song of living creatures; song of the seasons; alternation of Ent and Entwives (written by Elves); song of the slain Rowan's; battle song against Isengard.
- Rpgnet... Comments re origin of hobbits. Tolkienmoot VIII, 2012 has references at end of module**.
- Read 118... Richard read. Christmas note to teen fan Hugh Brogan.
- Read 119... Chris read. Tolkien took first sabbatical in 25 years.
- Read 120 by Corey. 1949. Pauline Baynes very happy with it.
- Chapter 2 Michael Martinez. Understanding Middle Earth. Elves change... Conservatism vs change. Change in location, culture, language. Their choices force them to change. Woodland Realm, Lothlorian.
- Michael Martinez's other related Tolkien books: Visualizing Middle-earth, Parma Endorian, Mindfaring through Middle-earth, and more information and his other books on various topics: http://www.michael-martinez.com/books/
- Jeremiah commented on Notion club papers. Dunn's theories of time**.
- Next time reading letter 121 etc. on June 11.
Also Tolkien Moot XII will be July 16th!