April 2012 Meeting Notes
April 28 Meeting 12:30 pm to 2:45 pm.
Present: Hawke Robinson, Brian Huseland, Chris Kuperstein
1. BH read February notes.
2. Follow-up re: Thorin (p. 358 Appendix A of RotK). Thorin referred to as 180 years old.
3. HR covered Amon Hen March 2012 magazine review.Tolkien Society Facebook group--discussion summarized in "Burning Palantir"Book reviews, New word, "rebarbatively"
4. Tolkienmoot--2012 (Mini-moot)July 13-15. HR to update flyers and export to PDF.Help for Middle-Earth radio-streaming.
5. CK read Letter 26. 26 To Stanley Unwin. [On 2 March, Unwin sent Tolkien an extract from a reader's report on C.S.Lewis's Out of the Silent Planet.The reader commented: 'Mr Lewis is quite likely, I dare say, to write a worth while novel one day. This oneisn't good enough – quite.' The reader judged the creatures of the planet Malacandra to be 'bunk'. Unwinasked Tolkien for his opinion of the book.]
4 March 1938 20 Northmoor Road, Oxford
6. Discussed Out of the Silent Planet/Lost Road. Looking at three interdependent species in Lewis and Tolkien's worlds: Sorns, Hrossa, and Pfifltriggi compared to Elves, Men, and Dwarves. Decided to continue discussion at next meeting.
7. BH noted that just as JRRT and C.S. Lewis benefited from each other's literary influence, so community can enrich individuality in other ways.
8. Ring of Words: Tolkien & the Oxford English Dictionary. HR summarized book. Describes JRRT as lexicographer, wordwright, and word studier. New word: "wruxled".
9. Meeting ended. Next meeting scheduled for the third Sat in May: May 19th at 12:30 pm.